Sunday, October 23, 2016

My 23andme Experience

In June, I decided to test at 23andme because I found some discounts. This was before they offered the Ancestry only test for $99 like they do now. At this time all of their tests were $199 and included the health info. I found some discounts that allowed me to get tests for myself and my mom for $129 and $159.

I wanted the tests so that I could have an opportunity to find some 100% African matches to help in the search for our roots. I have heard of some people finding African matches on 23andme because a few years ago they were giving free tests to Indigenous Africans. I'm also just addicted to testing at this point, but my pockets are ready to take a chance on withdrawal.

23andme Results

Because my mom tested, they were able to compare our results and show what I inherited from her and my father (deduced I guess since they don't have his DNA). That's a pretty neat feature. It looks like I got good amounts of African from both sides...although I got more from my father. I received more European from my mother, and more East Asian/ Native American from my father...and so on.

DNA inherited from Father vs. Mother

My 23andme report also included health information. Basically, my mother and I are not a carriers for anything. I guess that's good news, although I feel like I paid extra for nothing. At least now I know for sure! They add new conditions that they test for often, so it's something to watch out for every now and again.

Oh, and I found my first African cousin. She's not related to my mother, so I think we may be related on my father's side. Her parents were both born in Nigeria and are Igbo, and she did not expect to have cousins in the United States. Surprise to both of us! I would have expected a Yoruban match to show up first since it seems that I'm carrying quite a bit of Yoruban DNA, but I guess not. Also, I've read that Yorubans, Igbos, and Ghanaians share quite a bit of DNA...so it may be difficult to determine from DNA alone. I'm sure that as more matches come forward and reveal their own cultural identities, it will paint a clearer picture for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment